Thursday, December 2, 2010

Bringing Out My Inner Child

This cake was fun to make! A mother of a 5 year old boy had wanted a birthday cake for him to be a recreation of one of his latest drawings.

I started by making all the little components of his picture, the stars, moon, planet and rocket ship, out of fondant. I painted with food coloring all of the details on the rocket ship, making sure to be as loose as possible in my movements so that they looked more like a child's. To be honest, it was kind of challenging creating a picture and trying to be not exact. But I guess that's just my own need for perfection coming through!

I, then, airbrushed the top of the iced cake black and then placed the decorations on it according to the picture. I put in a couple extra stars to fill in the empty space, and put some along the sides so it wasn't just blank. I finished off with a white border around the top and bottom edges.

No comments:

Post a Comment