Thursday, December 2, 2010

Stars and Stripes



A client wanted a birthday cake for his mom, whose birthday happened to be on July 4th. I went on the internet and found a picture of a large, floppy, 4th of July-celebration hat. It looked easy enough to interpret it into cake, so I got to it.

 I shaved the top tier of my cake so that it was smaller at the base than at the top, and rounded the top edge. Then I iced and stacked the tiers as I normally would. Since the icing was already white, and 1/3 of the appropriate Independence Day colors, I knew that my decorations needed to be red and blue. 

 The picture of the hat that I had originally used for my inspiration had thick stripes running down it with a big blue bow off the back. So I used a similar design for the top tier. The bottom tier was easy to decorate, seeing as how fireworks and the 4th of July go hand-in-hand, stars were only appropriate.

It was a simple design, but it "explodes" off the page!

No comments:

Post a Comment