Thursday, December 2, 2010

Watermelon Fantasy

For this cake, my client wanted a birthday cake with watermelon colors. They told me to make it pretty. So the first thing I did was researched watermelons. Then, after seeing what colors actual watermelons are, I found some color swatches in very similar tones. I knew I couldn't use the exact colors, because they would have been too bold, and since they wanted it more elegant than literal, I used softer shades.

The flowers and ribbon on the cake were fondant, made by rolling and cutting with flower cutters and a pastry wheel (which is pretty much a small pizza cutter). I then mixed up watermelon pink food coloring for my air brush, and sprayed them with different intensities of air pressure to create either lighter or darker tones of the color. Then I airbrushed the small, green flowers.

Once the cake was put together and iced, I decorated it with my fondant pieces. To finish it off, I used small, edible pearls for the centers of the green flowers, and fondant-flower centers, that I had gotten at the cake store, for the centers of the calla lillies. I mixed forest green into my icing and piped on the leaves, and ended with a smooth white border around the tiers.

No comments:

Post a Comment