Thursday, December 2, 2010

That's Just Peachy

This wedding cake was an early spring creation about 2 years ago. The bridal colors were peach and pale yellow. The bride had chosen a couple different cake designs before settling on this one, a 4-tiered, peach-colored cake covered in pale yellow rose petals. And so I had my task at hand and I set to work.

I chose about 3 different-sized circle cutters for the petals. I rolled out a bit of white fondant as thin as I could get it and cut out just a couple circles at a time. I knew that if I cut too many, than some would be too dried out to work with before I had even gotten to them. With the ones I had cut, I took a small fondant rolling pin and pressed and rolled them even thinner, and into petal shape. I used my fingers to help shape the circles into petals, as well. I did this over and over again until I had about 400 petals. It took me close to 4 hours.

Once the petals were all made, I lined a large sheet pan with the petals in a single layer and airbrushed over them lightly on both sides. When I was doing this, I made certain to not be particularly accurate, as petals in nature are not all one solid color, and are not all identical to each other. So as a result, some ended up lighter, and some a tad darker. Exactly what I was going for!

Once the cake was stacked and supported as it needed to be, it was iced and airbrushed peach. Then it was time to put on all the petals! Since this cake was to have no piping along the borders, I had made certain while icing it to smooth the corners as much as I could.

I continued to place the petals, starting at the bottom, one at a time. I used the biggest ones at the bottom and worked my way up. Once to the top, I used the smallest leftover ones to fill in any gaps.The bride wanted them to be more sparse towards the top of the cake, so I made sure the bottom was heavily "petaled".

 Though time consuming, this cake turned out really lovely!

No comments:

Post a Comment