Thursday, December 2, 2010

Transformers

    My good friend, Tom, has a son, Myles, who is absolutely obsessed with Transformers. The obsession has been happening for several years and is showing no signs of stopping. So for Myles's 5th birthday, it was only obvious that he get a Transformers cake!

Tom told me I could put on whatever Transformer I wanted, as long as it was either Optimus Prime (of the good guys) or Megatron (of the bad guys). Tom also told me that when they play, Tom is usually Optimus Prime. So in that case, I decided to put Megatron on the cake.

I found, and printed, an image off the internet of the Transformer and cut it out, following his shape exactly. I, then, rolled out a piece of fondant about 1/16" thick. I placed the paper image over the fondant and traced with an exacto blade around the image so I had a Megatron-shaped piece of fondant. I then used my airbrush and paintbrushes to recreate the image on the fondant piece with food coloring.

Once I had the cake iced, I airbrushed very lightly all over with a deep purple. Then I airbrushed the transformers logo onto the top of the cake with the same purple. I airbrushed a jagged-looking design around the sides of the cake in the purple, and cut out small, yellow, fondant circles which I placed around the sides as well. I placed on my Megatron, and finished with some writing and a border.

No comments:

Post a Comment